Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
OrthoSC provides MRI scans for identifying injuries and conditions in your body. An MRI is a harmless, noninvasive test that uses a strong magnetic field and radiofrequency waves to produce images of the inside of your body. The scans are very safe, and there is no radiation exposure.
Preparing for an MRI scan and what to expect on your examination day:
- Please inform your MRI scheduling representative if you have a pacemaker, metal fragments in your eyes or body, or types of aneurysm clips and implants.
- Most MRI scans take about 45 minutes each. Some parts of the body may take up to 1.5 hours. If you are having three or more scans done, you may want to consider scheduling them on separate days.
- You may wear normal street clothes as long as they do not contain any metal, including zippers, snaps, buttons, and metallic thread. You will also be asked to remove all jewelry, glasses, dentures, loose change, wallets, bank or credit cards, wigs, etc.
- If you are on medications, you can continue to take them as prescribed. If you have pain medication, you should also take these so your exam will be more comfortable, as you will have to lie still during the exam.
- When ready for your MRI, you will be asked to lie on the table either head or feet first depending on the type of exam. The table will then move the part of the body being scanned to the center of the magnet. You will hear a loud knocking/buzzing as you are being scanned. Due to the loud noises, you will be given earplugs to wear.
- If you are claustrophobic, please inform the digital imaging technician. There are medications that can be provided for you to make you more at ease. If you are in need of this medication, you will need to have someone available to drive you on the day of your exam. Please keep in mind we will do everything we can to keep you as comfortable as possible.
To learn more about our MRI services or schedule an appointment, please click on the Schedule an Appointment button or call one of our MRI locations.
- Conway: (843) 353-3460, ext. 1156
- Murrells Inlet: (843) 353-3460, ext. 1226
- Myrtle Beach – Carolina Forest: (843) 353-3460, ext. 1361