iovera° Cold Therapy
OrthoSC is committed to delivering the latest pain management treatments, including iovera°—a targeted cold therapy treatment used to freeze out knee pain.
Using your body’s natural response to cold to block pain signals before and after surgery, iovera° provides immediate, long-lasting knee pain relief without medication.
How Does It Work?
Your specialty-trained provider will use a small device to generate a targeted cold zone in the treatment area. This will be cold enough to temporarily stop the nerve signal without damaging surrounding tissue. Once the nerve is blocked using this technique, it will provide pain relief until the nerve regenerates.
Cold therapy ioveraº treatment is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure, so you will be able to go home right after your treatment.
Benefits of ioveraº
For knee replacement patients and those with degenerative knee arthritis, undergoing iovera° treatment can offer the following benefits:
- Fewer opioid prescriptions
- Improved knee function and mobility
- Less stiffness
- Less postsurgical pain
Who Is ioveraº For?
The ioveraº treatment is indicated for:
- Reducing postsurgical pain for patients with an upcoming knee replacement
- Blocking of pain related to peripheral nerves
- Relieving pain (for up to 90 days) for patients with osteoarthritis of the knee
The ioveraº treatment is NOT for patients with any of the following conditions:
- Pain related to the central nervous system
- Cryoglobulinemia, where blood thickens due to cold exposure
- Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria, which involves blood in the urine with cold exposure
- Cold urticaria, or a condition that leads to a skin rash due to cold exposure
- Raynaud’s disease, which is characterized by narrowed blood vessels in the feet and/or hands with cold exposure
- Open or infected wound(s) in or around the site of treatment
To learn more about freezing out your knee pain, please call (843) 353-3460 or request an appointment online.